On June 10th, 1945, some 100,000 people gathered on the gentle slopes of Lidice to attend the first commemorative event. They came as pilgrims – as organisations, as families, and as individuals.
The Lidice Rose Garden of Peace and Friendship was opened on the 19th of June 1955. People flocked to the village from far and wide to see the spectacle. Dignitaries were present from around the world, including Jawaharlal Nehru, Prime Minister of India, as well as other leaders from both sides of the Iron Curtain, including the Soviet Union, Italy, Hungary, East and West Germany, the USA, and Poland.