The Fate of the Lidice Children

Eighty-eight children of Lidice were separated from their mothers and deported from Czechoslovakia by the Nazi Main Race and Resettlement Authority to a transit camp in Łódź, at Gneisenaustraße 41. The children were put in this former textile factory where two halls on the upper floor had been reserved for them. There they slept on a bare floor and covered themselves with what was available to them. They ate prison food, the older girls looked after the younger ones – the youngest child a mere 13 months old. A nurse, Julia Makowska gave evidence as to the children’s maltreatment at the camp, and attempted to provide better rations for them. A prisoner at the camp who could speak Czech and was a doctor, Jan Zielina, also testified to the children’s poor condition and malnutrition.

For the chief of the relocation headquarters, SS-Oberstrumbannführer Hermann Krumey, the children were an irritant. He repeatedly telegrammed Berlin looking for a deadly solution to the problem of the Lidice children that meant less work for him. His telegram sent to Gestapo Headquarters on the 22nd of June 1942 was fateful:

Telegram sent to Gestapo Headquarters by Herman Krumey on the 22nd of June 1942

The Main Security Office – III B 4 –
For the attention of SS-Standartenführer Dr. Ehlich
Berlin – Prinz-Albrecht-Strasse 8
Re: Deportation of 88 Czech children.
Previous records: without any note.

On the 13th of June 1942, after the known action, 88 Czech children came from the village Lidice to Łódź without their parents. This transport had been announced by the chief of Prague Security Police and SD. The telegram was signed by the SS-Strumbannführer Fischer.

As I have received no layout of what is meant to happen to the children I am asking for complying orders. I informed IV B 4 about the coming of the children supposing that the special steps were to be made. In the meantime the Race and Resettlement Authority selected seven children suitable for Germanizing.

Krumey, in his own hand SS-Oberstrumbannführer

Finally “special” steps were taken on those not fit for Germanization, a response to his telegram ran:

Łódź, July 2, 1942

“On the basis of a telegram from the Main Reich Security Office, 81 Czech children, who were temporarily transported to the camp Gneisenau 41, have been properly handed over in Łódź today on 2 July 1942.”

The Secret State Police
taken by: Stromberg, in his own hand SS-Hauptscharführer

This meant the final decision of the Main Reich Security Office in Berlin to hand the total of 81 children of Lidice over to the State Police department in Łódź. This order de facto meant to kill them all. The Gestapo never occupied themselves with matters of re-education or Germanizing of children, this was a task for the Nazi organizations like the Lebensborn or the Hitler Youth.

To lift their spirits the Nazis encouraged the children to write postcards to their relatives. Although written in despair, they were still full of hope, gratitude, and anticipation of better times to come. All the postcards were mailed in Łódź on July the 4th 1942.

Children from the Łódź ghetto reach the Chełmno death camp

It is likely that the children met their fate with promises of good health, food, hot baths, and decent clothing. To assuage any fears they may have had, in all likelihood they walked along a well-lit corridor into a gas chamber reassuringly presented as a doctor’s waiting room, with posters and signs on the walls, even sweeties on a table. However, once inside the converted van the door was firmly shut and the engine was started, its exhaust outlet filling the inside of the van with lethal gas. As the cries and convulsions subsided, the van was driven to a nearby forest, some four kilometres away, to mass graves dug in advance. There the children were buried. As the tide of the war turned, the Nazis exhumed and cremated the bodies of the children, along with countless other victims of the death camps.

None of the above is incontrovertible, however. The nearest relatives have to closure is the circumstantial evidence provided by the testimony of Polish gardener, Andrzej Miszak, who worked outside the Chełmno camp. As a witness at the Nuremberg Trials, he detailed an account of the “Czech children” arriving in lorries outside the extermination camp in the summer of 1942:

“I saw the SS men pull children out of the lorries, ranging from the youngest toddlers to maybe 14 years of age. The children were arrayed in quadruple file and led into the camp, which was surrounded with a fence about two metres high. I saw through the open gate how they led them to the mansion inside the camp… it may be that they arrived from Łódź. From the windows of my house, I saw clearly that the children (had] taken off their clothes and underwear and that they stood naked by the windows of the mansion inside the camp not far away.”

Leave a Reply

Related Post

A Fateful Incursion…A Fateful Incursion…

The fateful incursion came on the night of the 9th of June. It was on the initiative of SS-Standartenführer Horst Böhme, who telephoned Hitler in Berlin on the day of Heydrich’s funeral to present the evidence against the village and recommend retaliation. Böhme’s report relayed the reply which ran: Subject:

%d bloggers like this: