Will Lawther – Miners’ President

William Lawther, President of the Miners’ Federation of Great Britain in 1942 and one of the principal architects behind the Lidice Shall Live movement was born on the 20th of May 1889 in Choppington, Northumberland. From leaving the town’s school, he became a collier and soon became actively involved in the Northumberland Miners’ Association, which funded him to study at the Central Labour College.

Although Lawther is known as a politician, he is best remembered as a trade unionist. He was elected to the General Council of the Trades Union Congress (TUC) in 1935, and as the President of the Mineworkers’ Federation of Great Britain (MFGB) in 1939. Lawther saw the coal workers through the challenging war years and helped steer the industry through the rocky process of nationalisation. By the time the National Union of Mineworkers was inaugurated, Lawther remained President. In 1949, he was President of the TUC, and later that year, he was knighted. In 1954, Lawther retired from trade union work and died in 1976.

Lawther’s role in the Lidice Shall Live campaign was pivotal. Without the enthusiastic support of the President of the Mineworkers’ Federation of Great Britain, it was sure to remain a parochial, North Staffordshire based fund raising project. However, that was not to be the case. The emotion shown in Lawther’s address at a conference at Blackpool on the 20th of July 1942, much of it repeated in Hanley later on the 6th of September, added a weight of personal human sentiment the whole of the British coalfield could not ignore. And neither could the Foreign Secretary – a fortnight later the Munich Agreement was finally annulled.

Following his death, declassified archives discovered that Will Lawther had covertly been working with a secret Cold War propaganda department attached to the British Foreign Office called the Information Research Department and was paid by the British government to promote anti-communist material. This would devalue his denouncements of the British-Czechoslovak Friendship Club, that it was “merely a tool” for the Communist Information Bureau (better known as the Cominform).

From The Path to Lidice – out now on Amazon

Leave a Reply

Related Post

The Rose of LidiceThe Rose of Lidice

The Garden of Peace and Friendship had been opened on the 19th of June 1955. In 1956, the musical composition “A Rose for Lidice” was commissioned retrospectively by the Lidice Shall Live Committee to celebrate the opening of the rose garden. The choral piece was written as a soprano solo with

%d bloggers like this: